Have high serum creatinine and all other reports normal. Family history of diabetes. Suggest?

i am 50 year old female and healthy. had my annual labs done. everything very normal except serum creatine was 0.42 on lab report masked as low. Bun/creatitine ratio was 31 on lab report that was marked as high. my fasting glucose was 86. Ha1c was 5.8. family history of Diabeetes, . all other labs normal. should I be concerned on those "abnormal"according to lab report. why would creatine be low and bun/creatine ratio be high ? ( i know as we age kidney function declines, and creatitine may get higher)
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to get worried!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Your results look good to me and am sure any other physician would say same. As expected, creatinine may rise but it is not always the case. Feel happy that the renal function is very good. Also, your age of 50 is not what we really consider when we talk of this rising a little with age.

From the BUN/creatinine ratio, you understand why it is high beecause a normal BUN divided by a lower creatinine would automatically yield a higher ratio. It is still a reflection of this somewhat lower than "usual" creatinine value.

For now, I would advice you to stay calm and relaxed. Control these results during your next annual exams. There is nothing here that needs any more attention right now.

I wish you well. Continue to maintain a healthy lifestyle, stay physically active, avoid excess alcohol and tobacco and illegal drugs if any.

Feel free to ask follow up questions if need be. I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD