Have high positive anti nuclear factor. Had tested negative for HIV. Will it affect the HIV test result?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I have had a negative HIV test at 12 weeks, but have since been told I have a high positive Anti-nuclear factor. Will that have compromised the HIV test? Should I ask for a retest at 6 months as i've read that if you have a weakened immune system the HIV antibodies might not have shown up...? Thanks
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry. XXXXXXX test and findings arent related to HIV and HIV testing at all. There arent reported cases of such interactions or false negative HIV tests caused by high AN- factor. You shouldnt be concerned. Postive AN factor actually means that your immune system is too strong,not too weak.
Immunodeficiency and weakend immune system is evaluated by other findings ( white blood cells and imunnoglobulines) so if these are normal you should be sure about your HIV testing.
If you have symptoms try to do further tets for autoimmune disorders to find out is there some particular disease such as lupus, rheumatoid arhritis or thyroid disorders.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Follow-up: Have high positive anti nuclear factor. Had tested negative for HIV. Will it affect the HIV test result? 2 days later
Thanks for your reply.

I had a negative Hep C result in October last year, but then two inclusive (false positive) results in November 2012 and again in February 2013. This is worrying me I have never used needles or anything like that. I had one incident of unprotected sex in November 2012.

Can you explain why the test is inclusive? I was told that it meant I didn't have Hep C but why isn't the result negative? Can you explain?

Also, with my positive XXXXXXX test....does that make it hard to conceive? I have one child, but hoping to try for another. I have heard that having positive XXXXXXX might make this difficult. Can you advise? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 48 minutes later
Hi again.
Inconclusive test mean that it is not 100% negative, but close to it. Possibility of being positive is minor. And it is usually considered as negative test. It means that results may be unreliable and that there might be mistake in laboratory procedure. If you want to be sure you should repeat test or do some other hepatits test(there are few of them,ask your GP about this). But there is really nothing to be concerned, results are probably the same like first time.
If you didnt have any problem with first child then there is no reason to have with next one. There are some scientific reports which say that there is higher incidence of early abortion if mother is XXXXXXX positive,but risk is minor. This is not something that should bother you if you want another baby. Just inform your gynaecologist about you XXXXXXX tests and pregnancy can be controled more detailed.