Have high liver enzymes. Will it be controlled by stopping alcohol?

Critical Care Specialist
My liver enzymes are higher than normal. I want to cut back on drinking alcohol but not stop entirely. Will this work? Will taking milk thistle help?Not sure if you got the additional info': I am in excellent overall health. Thanks!
Posted Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 2 hours later
Cutting down alcohol would definitely help your liver and your liver enzymes would come down as well. But we should be looking at cutting it down to 1 drink ( =30 ml) per day.
Although the beneficial effects of milk thistle are known, there are no large trials which have investigated the role of milk thistle in liver disease. So I would not be able to comment on the same. I think cutting down on the alcohol and eating healthy is all that you need. The liver has tremendous capacity to bounce back and I am sure it will take care of itself if you take care of these things.
Hope this answers your question.
Let me know if you have any more concerns
Dr Sadiq