Have high hsv 1 igg, negative hsv, hep c. Will it be safe to go for cosmetic surgery?

I am preparing for cosmetic surgery within a couple weeks. I have just learned that my HSV 1 IgG is high; (HSV 2 & Hep C results are both negative). Since results of this nature don't show up typically on regular blood tests, I have no idea how long I have had this virus nor when/or where I would have contacted it. I have had 2 long term marriages & am not promiscuous so this is quite disheartening. The questions is - now XXXXXXX is it for me to go ahead with the planned cosmetic surgery and will I heal well? I am otherwise a very healthy individual; I have excellent doctors & live a healthy lifestyle.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

The most common way in which individuals contract herpes simplex type one is by kissing other individuals. Quite often this virus is actually past two children when older adults kiss them on the cheek or on the lip. It is impossible to actually pinpoint when you might have contracted the virus but it is not really important at this time.

Regarding your surgery the elevated IgG Will not have any type of impact on your healing. If you have active rash or cold sore this would be something that your doctor would preferred that you keep under control prior to any surgery. You might also ask your doctor if it would be necessary to take some type of prophylactic antiviral medication before or after the surgery. I really do not think this is indicated but it would be a reasonable question for you to ask the surgeon.

Thanks again for sending your question. Again I want to reassure you that there should really be no problem with your history of this virus regarding a successful outcome of your cosmetic surgery.

Thanks again for sharing your concern with us. Please let me know if you have any additional specific questions for discussion.

Dr Galamaga
Follow-up: Have high hsv 1 igg, negative hsv, hep c. Will it be safe to go for cosmetic surgery? 1 hour later
Thank you for putting my concerns at rest !! I was very worried ! ` I have never been , over the years , symptomatic of STD - ever, ever ; and could not believe the blood result of this particular test !! Thanks !
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 51 minutes later
You are very welcome!

I wish you all the best.

Dr Galamaga