Have high heart rate and pain in chest under breast. What could be the cause?

Hello, lately my heart rate in the mornings between 8:00am and 11:00am has been between 110 and 143. My heart rate seems to stay relatively high, between 98 and 105 for the next 4 hours. Then it increases between 112 to 130 in the later hours of the day. The symptoms I feel is my heart beat in my neck and anxiousness. Sometimes I feel what I describe as a small ping (small pain) in my chest, under my left breast. I feel that I am a healthy 49 year old Caucasian female with no major health issues. I am a smoker of 30 years and now trying to quit. My physical activity is moderate at best. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have for me as there are heart issues in my family history. Thank You, XXXXXXX W.
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I have read your medical history carefully and I would suggest as following: - You are feeling your heart rate higher in the morning due to "morning hormones" (adrenal hormones) that are secreted more in the morning. This gives to your body the right energy to start the daily activities. However, you are feeling heart beatings higher than normal. So, I first suggest to run cardiac check-up (ECG,Holter, cardiac echo, stress test TMT) to rule out heart problems. If the results are normal, then, no need to worry. You can start beta-blockers and do regular annually checkups. - Another factor could be related to pre/menopause due to hormonal changes typically for the age you are (49). So, I suggest to check the hormonal balance in the blood for further evaluation. At the end, it is great that you are trying to stop smoking. This could also affect partially your heart rate, but it is temporary. Avoid energetic drinks, caffein, foods high in fat, sugar, fried, processed(high caloric) to ease your symptoms. Hope it answered to your inquiries! If you have more questions feel free to write me back at the next follow up. Dr.Benard