Have high fever. Blood test done. Could it be typhoid?

My wife suddenly had a bout of high fever for a day after which she seems to be fine though a little feverish. We had a blood test done on the day she had high fever and the reults are as follows:
Salmonella Typhi "O" - 1:80 Dilution Positive
Salmonella Typhi "H" - 1:80 Dilution Positive
Salmonella Para Typhi "AH" - 1:20 Dilution Negative
Salmonella Para Typhi "BH" - 1:20 Dilution Negative
Kindly explain ..... Does this mean she has Typhoid? and if yes is it the starting stage.
Thanks in advance....
Posted Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 34 minutes later

Firstly I want to tell you that widal test has highest sensitivity in second week of illness. During the first week it is not diagnostic - therefore a negative test rules out the disease.

Now regarding the values, the test is considered positive if 'O' antigen and 'H' antigen are 1:160 or higher in single test or 4 fold increase is found in the follow up tests after 7 days. Similarly criteria for paratyphi (AH/BH) antigen is similar with 1:80 titre.

Hence according to lab reports it doesn't look like typhoid. Consult your physician and take symptomatic treatment. In 1-2 days picture will be clear on the basis of clinical scenario.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you with any other queries

Follow-up: Have high fever. Blood test done. Could it be typhoid? 7 hours later
Does this mean that It is important that we do another blood test 4 - 5 days after the first test and if there is no increase then we can be sure that she does not have typhoid and if there is an increase, we can confirm typhoid?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later

Yes, you have to perform test in second week (after 4-5 days), if the titre will not increase then you can be sure to rule out disease. Until then please continue the treatment from your physician.

Thanking you.