Have high cholesterol, triglycerides and HDL level. Being on low fat diet, a good solution?

Question
I am a 56 year old female. Height 1.6metres, weight 56.5kg. My total cholesterol is 5.4. Triglicerides 0.6, LDL 3.4 and HDL 1.6. I eat low fat dairy and small amounts of meat and not much junk so wondering how I can reduce this level?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Diet Plans

Answered by Dr. Radhika 4 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

You have high cholesterol levels and you have changed your diet by reducing meat and dairy products.

The first and foremost method for the treatment of high cholesterol and triglyceride levels is through low-fat diet, exercise and weight loss. Dietary changes must involve low total fat, low dietary cholesterol, low saturated fat and high starch and fiber content.

Physical activity or exercise must involve aerobic exercising at least for twenty minutes 3-5 times weekly. People suffering from obesity can lower their LDL and triglyceride content by weight loss significantly.

You can take certain cholesterol lowering foods such as avocados, almonds, olive oil, soy beans, garlic, shiitake mushrooms, chili peppers, oat XXXXXXX beans (kidney, pintos, black, navy, etc.), onions, fatty fish, and flax seed which play a crucial role in lowering LDL and sometimes raising HDL levels (good cholesterol).

Finally, approved drugs such as statins have been successful in lowering cholesterol level by inhibiting the synthesis of cholesterol by the liver. This should be taken along with lifestyle modifications and dietary changes. Consult your doctor to get this drug prescribed after examination. You may need to take it for minimum of 3 months and can recheck the lipid profile.

Do continue with your low fat diet and exercise regime.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have high cholesterol, triglycerides and HDL level. Being on low fat diet, a good solution? 17 hours later
I actually already do all those things hence the question. I didn't think I was overweight - how much weight do you think I should loose. Would the St John's Wort be contributing at all?

Answered by Dr. Radhika 8 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

You have done most of the things, but if you feel that your cholesterol levels are not decreasing in spite of it, you can start on medication for a few months. Once your levels go down, you can continue along with the diet and exercise regime.

Your weight is almost normal just 2 or 3 kgs over weight. It is ok.

St. John’s wort is most commonly used for depression and conditions that sometimes go along with depression such as anxiety, tiredness. It has not showed any benefit in patients who have high cholesterol.

Regards.