Have high cholesterol and low alanine aminotransferase. Do I need medication?

I have high cholesterol 213.72,and high LDL cholesterol 143.52,and low Alanine Aminotransferase 8 U/L .Do i need to take medication to lower cholesterol,and raise ALT(SGPT).
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 26 minutes later
Hi Friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic.

HDL is good cholesterol – higher, the better.
It removes deposits from vessel wall and transports back to liver for degradation.

LDL is bad cholesterol, ideal level is less than or equal to 100. In view of your history of Bypass surgery, ideal value in you would be less than 70.

My suggestions for you:

-Keep your weight within normal limits.
-Quit smoking if you do.
-Regular exercise 30 minutes/day for at least 5 days a week.
- Dietary changes - avoid saturated fats, increase consumption of Mono unsaturated fatty acids and ploy unsaturated fatty acids.

In my opinion, you would definitely benefit from taking statin group of medicines like Atorvastatin. Please do consult your treating doctor and get this prescribed.

Repeat the lipid profile after 6 weeks to recheck the values.

The lower level of ALT enzyme is nothing to worry about. Only elevation - 3 or more times the upper limit is considered 'significant' to need any attention.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck