Have high cholesterol and iron level in blood test and abnormal WBC and nitrate in urine test. Suggest?

I would like feed back on lab test done this week. I am unable to get an appointment with my Dr until two weeks from now.
From what I see these are the areas that concern me:
Blood work: Iron and Cholesterol are high
Urinalysis: WBC Esterase, Nitrate and WBC are abnormal

The only bad habits I have are my consumption of red meat (about 3-4 times a week), and alcohol (on weekends)
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query.

I have seen your lab. work up.

Your blood complete picture is perfectly normal , so is your thyroid profile.

Your urine test is abnormal , showing LE ( WBCs esterase) , nitrite positive , with high WBc that is 6- 10.

When ever anyone gets urine tract infection(UTI) , WBC starts to release esterase to fight against the bacteria in urinary tract. Nitrite is also related with your urinary tract infection.

Whenever anyone has bacterial infection , iron in the body increases , as it is an acute phase reactant , meaning it increases in response to any infection in body.

Your cholesterol and LDL are high , but are at border line increase from reference range . Following are the causes:

1. Over-night fasting of atleast 10 hours before doing the lipid profile test is necessary , other-wise your LDL , and cholesterol may come high.

2. As your age is 39 year , female , with no previous diseases , and normal thyroid profile , I would recommend a repeat lipid profile test with atleast 10 hours of fasting before test , life style changes , with low calorie food intake to normalize the cholesterol , no medicine required for this , as you are border-line.

You need to go to your internist , for urine culture sensitivity test , to recognize the bacteria in your urinary tract , and prescribe you antibiotics.

In the end I would recommend that nothing to worry about , your iron will also become normal after taking antibiotics, urinary tract infections are very common in females.

Alcohol is good in decreasing LDL , and cholesterol , if you drink less than 4 drinks / week.

Red meat is the most important culprit for high cholesterol , I would not recommend to stop it , but decrease intake like 2 times / week , till your lipid profile becomes normal.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask any further questions.