Have high cholesterol. Feeling dizzy and loosing hair. What should be done to get cured?

Nov 2013

I have been feeling dizzy since I woke up this morning, on getting out of bed i had to hold on to the walls on the landing to wake my son for school. The dizzy feeling hasn't gone, if I bend down to pick something up it is worse. I had a TIA 18mths ago and it started like this, could this be the sign of another one? My cholesterol was high at 8.9 I got it down to 6.9 with diet over 12mths, then I had the TIA after which my Doctor put me on a daily statin and aspirin - my cholesterol level is now down to 3.4. My father died of heart disease in his 60's, I obviously have his genes as I'm loosing my hair in the same pattern as he did but I'm female! I'm 57 years old 5'4" tall and slightly overweight at just under 12 stone.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
At present, you have dizziness, which increases on bending down (head & neck movements). At present, the most likely diagnosis for your symptoms is benign positional vertigo (BPPV). This is not a serious disease and improves with medications such as betahistine and rehabilitation exercises. I want to reassure you that these are not symptoms of TIA/stroke.
However, if dizziness is accompanied by other symptoms such as:
1. Double vision,
2. Slurred speech,
3. Imbalance while walking,
4. Difficulty in swallowing,
5. Severe headache,
then, it could be a symptom of stroke/TIA. So, please watch for those symptoms.
Moreover, you are already on statin and aspirin, the two good drugs to prevent TIA/stroke, the risk of these events are very low in you.
Please get back if you have more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospital, Hyderabad