Have high cholesterol. Can Januvia be taken twice a day for higher blood sugar?

Can Januvia be taken twice a day for higher blood sugars that is normal for me?

I do have high cholesterol but just got yearly blood work and it was 174. (Taking Zocor). My A1C was 7.0. My general practioner just retired about 6 months ago due to a stroke and have not had the time to find new family doc. Also, I know that sometimes pain will cause the sugar to spike and I have been in severe pain with my shoulder for about 6 months. Work a full time job transcribing for a cardiologist.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the dose frequency cannot be altered

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It can only be taken once daily. The recommended dosage of all medications is based on clinical studies looking at the absorption of medications, the metabolism and elimination of the medication, mechanism of action and potential side effects.

Januvia is only recommended to be taken once daily. It would be best not to alter this dosage because it would effect the side effects and other aspects of the medication on the body.

If your blood sugar levels are higher than normal then other alterations either in other medications or diet would have to be made if there are no other secondary causes such as infection or trauma.

If there are no dietary changes that could have resulted in the increased blood glucose levels then you may need additional medications to control your blood sugars.

Diabetes is a progressive illness . This progression occurs due to burnout of the pancreas. For this reason the dose and number of medications needed to achieve control increases during the course of the disease.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions