Have high blood sugar. Have pain in legs, unable to walk properly and stand for some time. Suggestion?

Hi Sir,
My father is an a sugar petient over from last 6 to 7 years, now he is suffering from a lot of legs pain, unable to walk properly and stand for some time. sir pls suggest on pain releaf of legs & controling of Sugar...
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 10 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Your father seems to be experiencing Diabetic Neuropathy, which is one of the complications of uncontrolled diabetes.

Your father needs a good review by a physician / Diabetologist. He also needs to take medicines (probably insulin too) prescribed by his doctor after examination. There are good medicines available which decrease or eliminate neuropathy pain. But I insist you make him visit a good physician and let him get examined first.

He needs a good clinical examination to pick the signs of gangrene in a diabetic foot that happens more frequently in diabetics like him. The peripheral pulses in his feet need to be assessed. It is very important to pick up peripheral neuritis in diabetes to prevent further complications.

A good glycemic control is required to revert his symptoms back to normal.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries, if any.

Follow-up: Have high blood sugar. Have pain in legs, unable to walk properly and stand for some time. Suggestion? 8 hours later
Thanks for suggestion
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 3 minutes later
Hello again,

I am glad you found my answer useful.

Wish your dad a good health.