Have high blood pressure, headache, slight chest pain and fluttering heartbeat. How to overcome this?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hi, I'm 32 years old (135 pounds and active) and for the last week, I have been experiencing intermittent heart flutter feelings off and on. At the time, I was menstruating and didn't think a whole lot of it. That menstrual cycle is now done for this month, but my blood pressure has been running high, I have been experiencing headaches and my heart rate if I sit on the couch resting for awhile is running in the 100-105 range (normal for me is 85). It has been jumping between 5-25 points on the pulse when I stand. I have been dealing with a ton of stress over the last few years, especially in the last year after being stalked by a then-work associate. (I am safe now.) Plus, my Mom's health has been a challenge. Is this concerning when I am otherwise healthy or am I worrying for nothing? When I get the headaches, they are often accompanied by ear pain, one-sided migraine-like headache pain and slight chest pain with the flutter. Sitting on the loveseat resting, my BP was 121/86 with a heart rate of 115, 15 minutes ago and 5 minutes later, it was 120/81 HR 101. Last night, it was 110/67 with a HR of 64. My Mom has a pacemaker for sick sinus syndrome; my Dad died from a heart attack and had 2 of them. We have a strong cardiology history, but I am otherwise, healthy, so this is throwing me a curve. I exercise, I'm active, and I have been under stress (poss. PTSD from the stalking). This is just not normal for me.
Thanks, XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 2 hours later

Thanks for your query

Your heart rate and heart fluctuations look bit more than usual. And one year quite a lot of time for PTSD to be causing symptoms to you. Have you been diagnosed to have Migraine, if you have migraine these issues can happen while you get pain?

What is the value of your blood pressure and are you on medicines for it?
Do you take good amount of liquids, as some time dehydration can produce all the symptoms you described?
If not you need to have ECG and holter monitoring done and get back to me with reports.

Follow-up: Have high blood pressure, headache, slight chest pain and fluttering heartbeat. How to overcome this? 40 minutes later
I have never been officially diagnosed as having migraines but I do routinely have headaches several times per month, especially around the menstrual cycle and in the week before it. My blood pressure has been running in the 120/80 range (fairly normal) with the exception of when I am the most fluttery (i.e. Last Sunday, it jumped to 141/68 with a headache). I drink enough (water and tea, mainly, because I know colas can dehydrate) and don't think I'm dehydrated. We have a family history of heart issues and autoimmune disease (Mom has Hashimoto's with Mast Cell Activation Syndrome too; some relatives have Crohn's). I wondered if maybe my thyroid with the strong thyroid history could be a source, but I haven't been anywhere yet to check it. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't being paranoid before I wasted my time and a doctor's. I am not on any medications for anything, beyond a daily multivitamin and Advil -- as needed -- for the headache. I treated the PTSD in therapy, so I don't really think it's that either -- this far out. I've done well with that with no nightmares now and what not. I will say that I had become suspicious of caffeine possibly being a problem when the headache and skippy feeling seemed to be worsened by caffeine, but I don't know. I guess I will get in touch with cardiology here and discuss a Holter. I'm familiar with them -- Mom wore one and a longer event monitor before her pacemaker. I know when my heart rate kicked up to 115 while sitting here minding my own business doing nothing strenuous, I instantly felt like crap.

I'll get with cardiology here and touch base with you again once I do to let you know what we found out -- for peace of mind. I appreciate your help! Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 11 hours later

Thanks for detailed reply.

I guess if there is family history of Hashimotos have thyroid also checked.

Also let me know cardiology reports.

Thanks and regards.