Have high blood pressure. Took lorsatan for few weeks. Will it be safe to discontinue now?

Is it safe to stop taking lorsatan? I have taken it for about 2 or 3 weeks and my blood sugar is higher. I had no high blood pressure but had a little elevated sugar before taking it. Please email me at YYYY@YYYY .
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is difficult sometimes to continue taking alot of medications.

Losartan belongs to a family of drugs called ARB. There is another family of medications called ACE inhibitors which is similar to the ARB family. Both of these family of medications are first for use in diabetics because they have been shown to protect the kidneys from any damage related to the diabetes. They are classified as kidney protective.
The blood pressure in a diabetic should be less than 130/80 , the lower the better and these medications are used first if any medication for blood pressure is required.

Because of the kidney protective effect they are also started if any abnormality is seen on examination of the urine.

You may want to speak to your doctor to determine the exact reason that he started the medication.
If you are not comfortable using it, it can be stopped after discussion with him and an appropriate replacement can be started.
There are no withdrawal or any adverse symptoms on discontinuing it.

Persons react to medications differently but this family of medication is normally known to decrease blood sugar at least temporarily according to medical studies conducted.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions