Have high blood pressure. Temporary relief from bystolic. Safe to take ace inhibitor?

When my blood pressure wnt to 150 / 95 my doctor gave me 5 mg Bystolic. it went down to ~ 130 / 84. Last week my company announced an impending layoff. My pressure is now as high as 155/95. I've tried doubling the dose to 10 mg/day (I have a check up in a week). For the last 4 days my BP has varied between 150/90 and 145/85 with the 10 mg dose. Would I do better on an Ace Inhibitor ? My doctor started with Bystolic because my resting pulse rate was high ( ~ 88) and Bystolic helped lower it. That also is moving into the high 80's as well. Everyone in my company is sweating out this layoff ...
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Stress can definitely affect blood pressure and the fact that your blood pressure initially responded to the bystolic and decreased to 130/84 , implies that it is playing a large part in the present increase.
By decreasing your pulse rate as well , the bystolic would have been reducing your heart's work load , which is good.
IF the increase in medication has not affected the blood pressure, your doctor would not likely consider switching it (because you had an initial good response) , but may think it better to add another anti-hypertensive to your present regimen.

In addition to altering the dose of your medication, you may need to try stress relaxation techniques, though it may be difficult at this time.
If you have a hobby or something that relaxes you, you need to do this whenever possible. In addition, adequate amount of rest (up to 8 hrs at night), light exercise , muscle relaxation techniques and breathing exercises would be helpful.
There is diet directed at hypertensives called the D.A.S.H diet that you can also try to follow. There is information available on it online but basically it consists of low salt, reduced alcohol intake, eating alot of fruits and vegetables, low fat products, increasing intake of calcium and potassium foods because they reduce blood pressure, elimination of sodas and other fruit drinks.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions