Have high blood pressure. Taking ativan and ace inhibitor. Medication to lower BP?

I have a blood pressure of 155/90 measured on two separate home machines, this made me nervous so I did also take a 1mg ativan to calm me down.

I do have high blood pressure and asked my doctor to treat me more aggresively - therefore he went from 5mg amlodopine and added 5mg of an ACE inhibitor (this was yesterday as my BP was 160/90 again. Should I go to the emergency room?)

When I was on amloc alone, my BP was averaging 140 to 150 over 80. I wanted to get the systolic down which is why I wanted my doctor to add another BP med.
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Follow-up: Have high blood pressure. Taking ativan and ace inhibitor. Medication to lower BP? 22 minutes later
If it is of any importance by blood sugar level is 5.5 mmol/l
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

Thanks for sharing your health concerns.

Isolated high blood pressure may not be an indication to emergently seek medical attention, but care must be had if symptoms such as headache, dizziness, chest pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, abdominal pain or motor or sensory changes occur, as these may signal problems with the pressure. Most of the time, gradual up titration of medications is the way to go; you also don't want to drop the blood pressure too quickly as it might create more problems. Your doctor just added a new medication, which will take some time (at a minimum 5 half-lives to reach steady state, if it’s a once daily med might mean almost 1 week) to fully reach its desired effect; amlodipine could also be increased later on if not at goal.

The other advice that I can give you is not to underestimate lifestyle changes to decrease the antihypertensive requirements: 8-10% total body weight loss, regular aerobic physical activity at least 150 minutes weekly, sodium restriction and avoiding excess alcohol. Many patients who really make intense changes in these areas can have a dramatic decrease in medication requirements.

Hope that information is useful. Wish you the best health,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Cardiovascular Diseases
Mayo Clinic MN