Have high blood pressure. Suffered high cold shivering. Took Ortain-AM5). Suggestions?

I'm 64years old. When I was 55 years old I came to know I've High Blood pressure. It use to remain mostly above 210 (high)/140(low) for which I didn't took any blood-pressure medicines to keep it under control, for those years. Later I consulted many doctors and after my blood pressure check-up, doctor's asks following questions.

1. Able to sleep properly - Yes, I normally sleep 6-7hrs in night and 1hr in day after meal.
     2. Talk properly or do you fumble? - I have no issues whatsoever
     3. Get exhausted soon? - No I don't feel like
     4. Do you walk - yes I walk about 1-2 km on average daily, sometime it used to be more, but not beyond 3 KM.
     5. Do you feel dizziness at time of walk or talking - no I don't feel like that
     6. Eat properly : Yes no issues, I'm vegetarian and eat my proper meal.
     7. Do you drink? : Yes I do, I use to consume about 90-120 ml per day

During this period, I had a major operation in my mouth (sort dental operation) I had a Cylt and because of it I was not able to eat properly and majorly citrus food. I went to many dental doctors, but they always refused to operate because of my blood pressure and asked me to first control it and then operate.

But this never ever happened and my blood pressure never came to normal and one fellow doctor did agreed to operate looking at my condition which was successful and I had no issues, nor that time and not now also.

Experiencing my body condition and fitness I always use to deny blood pressure tablets and was usually irregular about it.

But all of us sudden one day I got high cold shivering (twice actually) and after lot of family pressure I visited doctor, but they asked the same question and gave me Blood pressure medicine (Ortain-AM5) one tablet daily.

So after being serious about my blood pressure, I took this medicine for about 1 year and still I don't have any issues other than High Blood pressure. I only drink RUM and reduced my drinking capacity to 60-90ML per day only at night. I get good sleep. There is no change in condition whatsoever what it was 55th years before and now.

Now a days my blood pressure Low-100, High-160.

Other Medical History

1. Diabetic : No, and not even to any one in my family (Parents, Brothers and Sister).
     2. Thyroid: Never tested coz I never felt like.
     3. No Heat attacks.
     4. Haven't done any medical test recently because I never felt like.

Thanks for reading it so patiently, now I seek your recommendation as an expert and don't expect at-least you asking the same question which I answered above and hoping to get response in a positive new direction.

Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see below

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
1. Blood pressure is called a silent killer. It causes slow damage over a period of years and do not let you know its presence till there is a major event like a stroke, a heart attack, kidney failure or rupture of main blood vessel of body. You might have remained asymptomatic (without symptoms) over last ten years but my colleagues perhaps fail to convince you about benefits of good control of blood pressure.
2. I agree that no two persons have same ideal blood pressure and medical science do not know exact ideal pressure of a given individual but data available applies to population at large and is beneficial for it.
3. A blood pressure of 160/100 mm Hg is still high and needs to be lowered down at least to 140/90 mmHg. You also need to get investigations for all organs which are affected by high blood pressure including ECG, ultrasound of kidneys, blood tests, ECHO, eye tests etc.
4. Do consult a cardiologist or internist for same. Continue your daily walk and if everything returns fine you can continue your alcohol in same amount too.
Feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Have high blood pressure. Suffered high cold shivering. Took Ortain-AM5). Suggestions? 46 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

Can you suggest if the medicine (Ortain-AM5) i'm taking is good, at present i only take 1 tab in morning after breakfast. what's your recommendation?

Can you please list down the specific tests? more specifically what you mentioned "get investigations for all organs which are affected by high blood pressure"
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see below

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
1. This combination of olmesartan and amlodipine is good. Since your pressure is still higher than 140 / 90 mmHg, you need to control it better. Life style modifications like low salt diet (avoiding table salt, soups, pickles, chutneys, papads), maintaining optimal body weight (body mass index ~23), regular exercise, avoiding smoking, limiting alcohol to 2 units (pegs) per day, eating a diet XXXXXXX in vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes and avoiding high calorie dairy products will help. If it still remains higher than 140/90 mmHg, dose of either of the two components (olmesartan or amlodipine) can be increased in consultation with your local doctor.
2. Tests which we routinely advise for end organ damage are ECG, ECHO, Retinal examination by eye specialist, Ultrasound of kidneys, urine examination, blood urea/ creatinine/ sodium/ potassium/ sugar levels and a lipid profile to ascertain future risk for events.
Hope this helps.