Have high blood pressure. Lipid profile test done. What are the findings and required treatment?

Sep 2012

I just got results for my lipid profile. I decided on getting this test done as my BP was climbing up despite already being on one Stamlo 2.5 mg tablet daily. The lipid profile reports look pretty bad.
Cholestrol Serum - 248.00 mg/dL
Triglycerides - 227 mg/dL
LDL - 163.6 mg/dL
HDL - 39 mg/dL
Total Cholestrol/HDL ratio 6.3
VLDL Cholestrol 45.4 mg/dL
I want to know how serious this is. Does this warrant a visit to a doctor immediately or should I change my lifestyle (reduce fat, loose weight, exercise, etc) and wait for positive results. I am a 26 year old male with a family history of high blood pressure but no history of heart disease or diabetes.
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 23 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, I am discussing the report.

1.     The serum cholesterol level is high.
2.     Triglyceride level is in borderline level.
3.     LDL is high. This is the worst lipid.
4.     HDL level is low. But it is the good lipid. It’s level should be higher.
5.     VLDL is also higher than normal.

So, all the bad parameters are increased and the good parameter is decreased. Besides, you have hypertension.

You have increased chance of developing coronary artery disease.

You should take it seriously.

First, you have to control the dietary habit. That means change the oil you are using for cooking food. Use oil with high unsaturated fatty acids and low cholesterol value. Take low fat diet.

Second, walk for minimum 30 minutes daily, for minimum 3 days a week.

Besides these you have to take atorvastatin and fenofibrate group of drug regularly.

Consult with cardiologist in person for detailed clinical examination and also for further management.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.