Have high blood pressure. Developed A-Fib. Required change in medication. Taking Pradaxa and Potassium. Normal?

Have had high blood pressure for years (over 15), under control with drugs. Developed A-Fib at age 66 (Detected XXXXXXX 2013; it was not there XXXXXXX 2011). The A-Fib required changing my BP meds and some experimentation, but essentially taking only Pradaxa and Potassium for the A-Fib directly. Okay, so at age 67, normal blood pressure is about 134/87 according to one standard chart. What should i consider a good "normal" reading with the A-Fib? Is there a range?
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Look for resting pulse and palpitations

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query

You have given me an excellent history which has made it easy for me to interpret your issue.
Now what you should understand is A-fib is basically an issue in the normal rate and rhythm of the heart. Rate- how fast it beats per minute, rhythm- how strictly it follows the cardiac cycle. In A-fib these two things are deranged.
So, when you ask me what is a good reading in A-fib, it is a rate controlled and a rhythm controlled heart. Studies have shown that at a heart rate of 60-90 bpm during rest, 90 to 115 during moderate exercise is good rate controlled A-fib. Rhythm control can only be seen on an EKG
Blood pressure of less than 140/90 and more than 11/70 is good controlled blood pressure for you since you are not a diabetic.

Here is what I suggest

1. Along with the blood pressure check your resting pulse as well
2. Do not engage is strenuous exercises
3. Look out for palpitations which is not settling with rest, light headedness, easy fatigueablity
4. Please speak to your cardiologist about intra cardiac defibrillator placement, it is a small device which is placed inside you in order to check your heart rhythm and defibrillate it when it goes out of rhythm automatically

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Follow-up: Have high blood pressure. Developed A-Fib. Required change in medication. Taking Pradaxa and Potassium. Normal? 14 hours later
You say BP should be "more than 11/70", for a minimum. Is the "11" a typo?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for getting back to me

I am so sorry, yes it is a typo. I meant 110/70.