Have high TSH value. What are the reasons for thyroid. How to avoid it?

This is regarding the thyroif STH value 13.What are the reaons for thyroid.How to avoid it?what diet should be we in specific.?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

I presume you are talking about TSH level. Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) value of 13 is above the normal recommendation. This level is associated with hypothyroidism - under active thyroid.

The cause of hypothyroidism is unknown. It is thought to be related to genetic factors, low iodine intake, immunological changes, thyroid gland structural problems (goitre) and over correction of hyperthyroidism. Pregnancy can induce hypothyroidism. Similarly a new born baby can be born with hypothyroidism where the condition is termed as congenital.

Since the exact cause is unknown, we do not have any specific measures to prevent hypothyroidism. However there are few dietary changes that are helpful are:
- Consuming good amount of iodine; look for iodized salts only.
- Restrict use of goitrogens - there are certain food products and medications which inhibit thyroid production known as goitrogens. I think Google will serve you better to list the goitrogens.

In addition to those 2 measures, I think you will need to be on thyroid supplements regularly.

Lastly watch the TSH levels frequently as per your treating doctor's guidelines.

Hope this information is useful. Let me know if you need clarifications.