Have high LDL, HDL and cholesterol levels. Can they be controlled by diet alone?

Recently had my blood test results done for Cholesterol.
HDL - 45
LDL - 159
Can these levels through watching my diet be controlled
without medication??
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding your primary concern.

I have reviewed the numbers you have submitted regarding your cholesterol. These numbers can absolutely be well controlled by watching your diet.

In addition if you make sure that you exercise regularly this will help blissed your good cholesterol HDL even higher. I am confident that if you make small changes to your diet and focus on maintaining a good healthy exercise regimen that you will achieve your goals.

Ideally we would like to see the LDL below 130 and the HDL above 40. I am very confident that with these minor adjustments you can achieve these primary endpoints within a few months.

I would recommend that you make small dietary changes and focus on a low cholesterol healthy diet and then check your cholesterol levels once again in about six months.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Robert