Have high Blood Sugar and Post Prandial level. Taking Glycomet would help?

Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is not enough as sugar level are high.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate that you are taking Glycomet GP 2( Metformin and Glimepiride),but your blood sugar levels can be reduced further to have better control.

Your FBS( Fasting blood sugar) 205 mg/dl and PPBS(Postprandial blood sugar) is 305 mg/dl, acceptable FBS & PPBS are 90 to 120 mg/dl 160 to 200 mg/dl respectively.
Good control of diabetes help to prevent complications.

Please get your HBA1c level to know about control of diabetes for past months.

Diet and exercise are essential part of treatment taking 25 Kcal/kg body weight and walking regularly 30 to 45 minutes daily greatly helps in managing diabetes.

The dose of drugs can be increased or drug like Gliptins( Sitagliptin) or Voglibose may be added to further improve blood sugar level.

Please consider adding insulin at least once a day to improve the blood sugar level.
Please visit your Physician to get proper prescription, hope this information is useful for you and if you have any further query please ask me I will be happy to help.

Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Have high Blood Sugar and Post Prandial level. Taking Glycomet would help? 55 minutes later

Dear Sir,
Ref your reply.
Today My Blood Sugar (F) 222.0mg/dl.
Blood Sugar (PP) 384.0mg/dl.
Exercise and diet taking as per the rules. Only take one large whisky in the evening regularly.
Pleas advice medicine and doses from below mentioned generic medicine available in this place.
1.     Tab-Met formin -500mg.
2.     Tab –Glimepride- 2mg and 1mg.
3.     Tab-Glyrasmet- 1000mg/500mg/50mg.
4.     Tab-Voglibose -0.3mg
5.     Tab-Sitagliptin-100mg.
Please let me know the combination from above mentioned generic medicine and its doses.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need better control of blood sugar

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up,

In my opinion you need better control of your blood sugar. In my clinical practice I use combination of metformin and Glimepiride with breakfast and metformin with Sitagliptin with dinner.

We need to adjust dose according to blood sugar level. You can go for Glucometer and monitor blood glucose at home. It will be very useful for you.

I would suggest to use long acting basal insulin or combination insulin like Mixtard 30:70 or Lantus insulin once a day with dinner.

It would be unethical to prescribe without examining personally, hence please consult a local Physician and take proper prescription.

Please avoid use of alcohol as it affects liver and makes difficult to achieve good diabetes control.

Please continue to take care of diet and exercise.
Hope this information is useful in making proper decision about your health.
I will be available for clarification if any.
Wish you good health.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D