Have high BP, thyroid and cholesterol. Want to reduce weight. How to achieve this?

I'm looking for a wholistic internist. My issues are weight & the more I research also a thyroid problem, Throwing pills at me is not what I'm looking for its answers and the correct testing, so far I do not believe I have had that, just pill throwing.
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 2 hours later

Thanks for your inquiry.

I went through your past h/o surgeries and hypertension and high cholesterol.

By taking medicines you can't reduce the weight but existing problems, have to be kept under control.

For BP, High lipoproteins (Cholesterol) - anti hypertensive and appropriate Statin group of drugs in their correct dosage is a must - not only for obesity but mainly for your heart.

If you have hypothyroidism - Thyroid tab is a must - to reduce weight and to keep you active. This is the only drug which acts directly for your weight reduction, by increasing the metabolism.
The above mentioned drugs are the only part of medicine.

For obesity alone there are so many medicines available - but not with recorded evidence.

A strong will of diet control (balanced diet with a dietitian advise) and by minimum exercise to keep your muscle tone in order, are what you want.

Your life style changes - avoiding sedentary work, tension, stress and proper sleep (not excessive) will be helpful. Meditation and yoga are helpful.

Obesity may be hereditary. Obesity may be the precursor for other diseases - but the maintenance of proper tone of the muscle all over the body (isotonic exercises) will tide over the problems even if you look obese.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Have high BP, thyroid and cholesterol. Want to reduce weight. How to achieve this? 6 hours later
What are the questions I should be asking the Dr. about my tyroid concerns? The regular tests I have had in the past are always negative; if you look at me the physical evidence is there to see. It is time to take control of my life back. Our son past away 3 yrs ago of pancreatic cancer, have not really cared to much about myself since then. It is not fair to the rest of my family to allow myself to get like this. Please tell me the name of more extensive tests for the diagnosis of tyroid problems.

Best Regards,
Janice Zieler
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 6 hours later

There are no words to console you for the loss. You have to live peacefully for the rest of your family members and you must be in a position to console them.

Pituitary Gland in the brain secretes Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) - which acts as a moderator for the function of the thyroid gland to secrete the hormones called T3 & T4. We initially check the levels of these three hormones in your blood. Other battery of test for thyroid functions follows based on the results.

If you are looking to assess your thyroid hormone functions, I do not suggest extensive investigations yet. Get your serum T3, T4 and TSH level checked first.

In addition it would be worthwhile to get your blood sugars checked.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Best wishes,
Dr. S. jegadeesan