Have high BP, cholesterol and low thyroid. Feel heart rate increases at night. Took Benicar and Zoloft. Suggest

I am 6'3" 380 LB Caucasian. Med History: High BP, HIGH Cholesterol, Low Thyroid, Low Testosterone, History of Migraines, Anxiety. Have a slightly enlarged aorta. Lately, I have had cotton mouth so bad. Thirsty. At night when I lay down my heart pounds and my rate increases. Tonight it was so bad I took an extra Benicar and an extra Zoloft. Peeing a lot through the night too. Suggestions?
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult your cardiologist

Detailed Answer:
You are facing multiple problems, cotton mouth being an addition-which seems to trouble you much. So also pounding heart. I will try to advice how about managing these.
* Pounding heart- This is a symptom of the dilatation of aorta you have. The dilatation of aorta causes dilatation of adjoining heart, the lower left ventricle. In an effort to pump sufficient blood in aorta heart has to contract vigorously. & this gives rise to pounding heart.
This symptom increases as days pass & so needs immediate attention. It could be volume overload, side affect of medication or interactions between multiple medications. Please consult a cardiologist. A dose revision or after Echocardiogram, the line of treatment can be decided. It can be either through medicines or surgery.

Other general measures that you might already know should be strictly followed.
Having a better life style with low calorie, nutritious diet, exercises, sufficient exercises, Respiratory exercises ( Pranayamam), & meditation for a positive attitude are helpful for an overall management.
* Cotton mouth. It is dryness of mouth due to less/no salivary gland secreations.The dryness of mouth, thirst, are the symptoms you have.
- Excessive urination in night is because of excessive intake of water or medications acting adversely. The hormone ADH in the kidneys is not sufficiently enough to absorb water in the distal tube and CD.
- However excessive thirst & urination can also be symptoms of Diabetes. Please get blood sugar checked to exclude it.
* To control your trouble some symptoms please try following things.
-Please consult your physician & ask for change in dose/ type of medicine for high blood pressure. ( Benicar you are taking has a rare side effect of drying mouth.)
-Use artificial saliva spray, dry mouth patches, gels or lozenges (whatever suits you & is advised by your doctor) - instead of consuming excessive water
in night.
- Use a vaporizer in room at night, this will increase moisture in room & keep mouth, throat moist.
- Avoid breathing though mouth.
Hope this has satisfied you. I will be happy to help you in case you have another query.