Have high BP but controlled, Diabetic. Hernia hurts at times with bloating and gas. Suggest?

General Surgeon
I am 81 yrs. of age. Should I consider hiatal surgery?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hiatal hernia does not need to be always repaired.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Your age in present medicine is not a measure of surgery capability. General condition is. But not every hiatal hernia needs to be repaired. If you have symptoms all the time which make your life comfort low, you should have this surgery. Otherwise, if it gives only mild symptoms which can be easily controlled with medicines, surgery is not necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Have high BP but controlled, Diabetic. Hernia hurts at times with bloating and gas. Suggest? 5 minutes later
I have occassional pain on the right side sinilar to kidney stone pain but have no stones. They feel it could be from the hernia??
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
It is hardly possible that right side abdominal pain is caused by hiatal hernia. Generally hiatal hernia can give discomfort in the upper abdomen or lower chest (as a part of stomach migrates to the chest). But usually there is no pain. It rather give chest burning, acid reflux, nausea, etc. As you probably have this hernia for some time, you do know what symptoms it causes.
Upper right abdominal and/or back pain can be caused by kidney stones indeed. In some cases it is very hard to visualize stones, especially that when the pain appears, stone is in the ureter.
Upper right abdominal pain and bloating can be cause by large intestine issue as well. Gallstones should be also considered.
I suggest you to have colonoscopy (should be done every 10 years over the age of 50) and abdominal CT (to rule out possible pancreas issues) before hernia surgery decision.

Hiatus hernia surgery (Nissens fundoplication) can be done laparoscopicaly. Patients usually feel relief right after this surgery and all hernia symptoms are gone. No swallowing problems.

Hope this will help.