Have high BP and severe headache. taking eltroxin for hypothyroidism. What causes lightheadedness and dizziness?

My mother is 81 years old. She has been experiencing bouts of lightheadedness, and dizziness. As well she recently has been having very high blood pressure and severe headaches. She is taking eltroxin for hypothyroidism (previously hyperthyroid) as well as mevacor for high cholesterol and xalatan for glaucoma. Shenhas been losing weight and a general feeling of malaise She wore a holter for 24 hours which showed peaks at 180 systolic
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Problems could be due to high BP, infection Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Firstly, in order to PINPOINT the exact cause of her problems; give you a SOUND professional advice; and, TRUE VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY, I request you to kindly provide additional information as follows :- * Her medications along with the dose and frequency, for high blood pressure and hypothyroidism * Her Blood Pressure readings (both systolic and diastolic- both are equally important), apart from that recorded during Holter * Her latest test reports, including that of blood sugar, TSH levels; Urea & creatinine; CT scan of brain if done. * The report of holter as given by your cardiologist. * Does she have any urine infection (burning sensation while passing urine, frequently going to the bathroom). * Features of depression, forgetfulness if any. This notwithstanding, from the brief information available, the lightheadedness and dizziness and malaise may be due to:- - uncontrolled blood pressure or the medications for same - reduced blood supply to the brain due to narrowing of blood vessels (due to clogging following deposition of cholesterol in the form of plaques) which supply blood to the brain - small, pin-point size infarcts in the brain due to uncontrolled blood pressure. * Her general feeling of malaise and weight loss may be due to - a silent infection, which is quite common in elderly people. - overdose of eltroxin which causes hyperthyroid state. - or, undiagnosed diabetes, which is quite common at this age. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he agrees with my opinion and clinical acumen; order - CBC to indicate silent infections, if any; - CT scan of Brain (for brain infarcts) and, other required tests including - kidney function tests, - blood sugar (if not already done) to confirm/rule out diabetes; - chest-X-ray lungs' condition and heart size, and - serum electrolytes, for sodium and potassium derangements On receipt the additional information, I will analyze your mother's case in its entirety, and then give you a sound professional advice about medication of treatment if required; further investigations if required and, guide you in detail, about what course of action would be best for her. Awaiting additional information eagerly, Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal