Have high BP and hair root problem near genital region. What cure and precaution should be taken?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
hi
i am having a regular hair root problem near my genital region(male). My weight is 120 kg height is 5ft 11inches, have a slight high blood pressure being normal due to my physic, this problem of baltod is a very regular feature with me. After a normal discussion with a doc frnd i am having this medication Amoxycillin n potassium clavulanate tab ip 625mg, twice a day for three day..i want to know the reason for the repeated said problem, and also d cure/precautions that the same shldnt happen again and again.

thank u\ XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
The repeated baltod or folliculitis is a common problem. It is caused by a bacteria known as Staphylococcus aureus.
The reason why it is occurring repeated needs to be identified through a series of tests and the treatment needs to proceed accordingly.
First, we would like to run some tests like complete blood count, a fasting and post prandial blood sugar ( to be done 2 hours after the meal) and a liver function test.
As such the excessive weight also puts you at an increased risk of these infections. So weight management therapy ( with the help of dietary therapy and exercise) needs to be instituted.
Secondly, continue the amoxicillin-clavulanate tablets. Additionally, you should apply anti staphylococcal antibiotic cream like mupirocin or fusidic acid. It should be applied to affected area as well as to nasal cavity ( since the nose has carrier space for these bacteria) I would suggest that you apply the antibiotic twice a day for 5 days.
Additionally, washing your hands is amongst the most important precautions you can take to prevent the infection.
Once we have the reports, we can take this discussion ahead in a more fruitful manner.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Follow-up: Have high BP and hair root problem near genital region. What cure and precaution should be taken? 1 hour later
right so i ll get in contact with u after two days with d reports thru this forum only...anything else i need to know? and i shld tk this medication for how long?

n wld i need to pay again for this form of discussion as i am allowed 3 follow ups??

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.

You can continue the oral medication for seven days. Topical cream application for 5 days is sufficient.

You need not pay again if you ask query within 3 days. Get the tests done and we can continue the discussion here.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have high BP and hair root problem near genital region. What cure and precaution should be taken? 2 days later
Hi Doc

Well here are my reports, please review and let me know the further of the same.
the password for the same is "BHATLI".
Thanks

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.

I've gone through your reports. All investigations are within normal range. Sugar levels are also normal.

You can continue the medications as advised previously.

Also you have to reduce your weight. Excessive weight puts you on risk of getting diabetes and predisposes you to infection.

Also you should keep good hygiene. Wash your hands regularly with antiseptic hand wash like Dettol. This simple but often neglected step of hand washing is important for avoiding infection.
Also you can use special soap like SOAPEX soap. This will also prevent recurrent infection.

Hope this helps.

If you need any further clarifications, do let me know.

If you are satisfied with the answer accept it and rate it at the end.

Regards.
Dr Sudarshan
Dermatologist

Follow-up: Have high BP and hair root problem near genital region. What cure and precaution should be taken? 10 hours later
thanks doc, however wld like to know the repeated happening of the same and also the increase in the SGPT of Liver, what does this indicate?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi again,

Isolated elevation of SGPT is not significant. As other investigations are normal and other Liver function test are normal the SGPT value is not significant.

Recurrent boils or folliculitis occurs due to staph aureus. It recurs after treatment due to carriage of bacteria in nasal cavity. Due to transfer of bacteria by hands to other sites, infection keeps on repeating.
Hygiene maintenance is very important for avoiding repeated infection.

Hope I have cleared the matter.

Regards.
Dr Sudarshan.