Have hiatus hernia. Causing vomiting after eating. Have few upper respiratory infections. Help?

General Surgeon
I am awaiting surgery as I have a hiatus hernia which is causing lotsvof symptoms ie; vomiting after eating certain foods ind igestion regurgitating sometimes when I am sleeping ive almost choked a fwe times I have had a fewvupper respiratory infections recently I have niticed my abdomen can be very distended even though I have been swimming 3 times a week for 6mths and lost weight my stomach remajns very bloated I have also startd to be incontinent of urine it just happens no warnings and then in work (I am a staff nurse I work 12hr shifts)the other day I had an awfull tight feeling across my upper abdomen likevid been punched it lasted for hrs and scared me what can all these symptoms be I am not a moaner I just get on with things but its all starting to worry me , working in oncology dont help
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 38 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Hiatus hernia surgery (Nissen fundoplication ) is quite simple (laparoscopic) and effective surgery. It can help with symptoms like nausea, vomiting, regurgitation, respiratory tract infections, upper abdomen tightness. But you can not blame hiatus hernia for bloating, indigestion or urine incontinence.

Urine incontinence is a single problem and should be evaluated and treated under gynecologist or urologist control. Please consult your gynecologist. In a meanwhile, you should avoid alcohol, smoking, coffee. There are some exercises to improve Kegls muscle. But gynecologist consultation should be first.

If it is about bloating and indigestion, it might be caused by hiatus hernia, however other reasons should be ruled out at first. You are almost 50. Over this age, the risk of colon cancer significantly increases. That is why, every person over the age of 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years or FOBT (fecal occult blood test) once a year. Please consider this tests at first.

Bloating and indigestion can be also a result of bad diet. You should increase fiber XXXXXXX products, mineral water intake, avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, and try probiotic supplementation.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.