Have hiatal hernia, taking Raciper, Ganatone and Amloz. Reducing dosage causes acid reflux. Should I go for surgery?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I HAVE COME TO KNOW THAT I HAVE A PROBLEM OF HIATUS HERNIA. WT IS 80 KG .ROUTIINE WALKING 4-5 KM
MEDICINE I M TAKING RACIPER 40 1BD WITH GANATONE ITOPRIDE 50 MG IBD AND AMLOZ AT.
WITH THIS MEDICINE I FEEL COMFORTABLE. BUT WHEN I TRY TO REDUCE THE DOSE IT CAUSES REFLUX ACIDS BELCHING.I M TAKING THIS MEDICINE FOR 3YRS. SHOULD I GO FOR SURGERY OR SHOULD CONTINUE AS IT IS. IF GO FOR SURGERY WHAT ARE THE RISKS AND CURING TIME
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 17 minutes later

Using antacids for such a long period is bad for health as it causes adverse effects in the stomach predisposing you to infections of the gut as well as the chance of developing carcinoid tumors. It would be advisable to get yourself evaluated with regards to the severity and extent of the disease. This would involve 2 investigations,
1. An upper GI endoscopy and
2. Barium studies to demonstrate the extent of herniation into the chest.

Based on the results of these 2 tests, a decision to undergo surgery should be taken.
If you have any reports like upper GI endoscopy, please scan and upload them here. I would be able to write my opinion.

With the advent of laparoscopy, this can be done easily. It will take approximately 10 to 12 weeks after surgery for the entire problem to heal completely.

Regards.