Have herpes simplex. Is it safe to go for lipo laser therapy? Any side effects?

I just signed up for lipo laser therapy (9 sessions) and read in the disclaimer you're not supposed to do it if you have herpes simplex. What are the side effects?
Posted Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 9 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I am assuming that you are talking about genital herpes (please correct me if I am wrong). Given that the carrier rate of genital herpes is about 1 in 6 AND there are many women who don't even know that they have been exposed, that there are many women who are undergoing this procedure who HAVE herpes and don't even know about it.

My guess, with either oral or genital herpes, is that they just don't want to do the procedure while there are symptomatic or active lesions. The possibility might exist that the infection might get spread during the procedure. It might also, in fact, be a policy not for you, but to protect the persons actually performing the procedure.

If you have a history of herpes, bring this up to the doctor and be honest and open. Ask if it is okay to go ahead in the setting of no active disease.

I hope this helps. Please ask me if you have any additional questions!