Have herpes, constipation and noticed blood in stool. Is this an emergency?

Im 50 with herpes. i also have constipation. i've notice blood seeping out of my stools when it's in the toilet. i also had a pool of blood to form around it earlier. is this an emergency.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 40 minutes later

If you are not bleeding from your rectum and if the stool is not dark/tarry, then I do not feel we have an emergency situation here.

Blood mixed stools occur due to a few bowel conditions. Constipation itself can cause minor tears in the mucosa resulting in blood stained stools. Bowel infection, inflammatory bowel disease and intestinal polyps are a few conditions which cause similar symptoms.

Though the current events do not necessitate visit to a doctor, I will definitely suggest watch your stools for a few days. Drink plenty of fluids and take fibre XXXXXXX diet to counter constipation. If the symptoms persist, it is worthwhile to plan an appointment with your physician/gastroenterologist.

Hope this is assuring. Let me know if you need clarifications.