Have herniated discs in neck and pain in mastoid bones behind ears. Are they related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My mastoid bones behind both ears hurt to touch. Don't seem inflammed. Have herniated discs in neck...could it be related?
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain in the mastoid bones is not likely to be related to the herniated discs in the neck. The pain is more likely to be associated with a middle ear problem. You can get yourself examined from an ENT specialist for a proper diagnosis.
If there is pain on touching or pressing these bones then an inflammatory cause is likely.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.