Have herniated discs. Taking morphine and gabapinen. Easy way to get cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have been told that i have hyrnated discks and been seeing a pain XXXXXXX treatment doc for about 6 months.. currenty i am taking 30mg of morphine and 1200mg of gabapinen and 3 muscel relaxers.. i stil am unable to bend down to pick my 1 yr old or evern put my shoes and socks on ... now they have me in a casted back brace... the back is feeling a little better but my left leg is numb from the lower back to my toes and it feels like its on fire.. also i am having horrible sharp fireing shooting pain from said spot to me heel.. i am unable to even touch the back part of my leg and knee with out it feeling like i have a million thorns pricking me.. for the last few few weeks i have had trouble urninating.. i either cant go or have to go right then. any adivce would help.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing in,

All your symptoms are suggesting of significant nerve root compression. I would suggest you to consult your orthopaedician or neuro-surgeon immediately and follow his advise. Difficulty in urinating may be one of the signs of severe nerve root compression which might need an emergency decompression. Unless the nerve roots are not relieved of compression, your symptoms may not alleviate by medications or supports.

Wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Have herniated discs. Taking morphine and gabapinen. Easy way to get cure? 7 hours later
The urinating issue comes and goes but my leg has been a constant for about 3 days you still think that would be the same?
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 2 hours later
There is a condition called as cauda equina syndrome which occurs secondary to severe compression of spinal canal. Red Flag Symptoms for acute Cauda equina syndrome include sciatic leg pain, severe back pain, altered sensation over perineal region, urine retention or incontinence. If you have these symptoms, medical attention is necessary. Immediate treatment may help to preserve function. Bladder involvement in cauda equina syndrome occurs after sciatic pain in leg. So, in your case the cause of bladder incontinence have to be found out. Still your symptoms in leg/back, shows significant nerve compression which needs immediate medical attention.

Wish you a good health.