Have hernia in groin. Get pain in stomach and suffer from gas. Feel bloated. Cause?

General Surgeon
I have a hernia in my groin. I was wondering if this is apart of it. Sometimes I get pain in the lower right side of my stomach almost like a gas pain and my stomach gets distended and bloated. Its painful too but goes away after couple hours of sitting and applying pressure. Is this caused by a groin hernia? Can a hernia also make peeing difficut, not painful but the stream is weak.
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 54 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Yes, such symptoms can be caused by hernia. Hernia can contain fatty tissue, intestines or even urinary bladder. Due to intestine presence in the hernia, bowels movements can get impeded. This can cause bloating, abdominal pain, constipation, gas obstruction. You need to know that hernia is the most common reason of bowels obstruction.
Sometimes even urinary bladder can migrate out of the abdominal cavity to the hernia sac. In such case, urinating problems can appear as well. However this situation is quite rare.

So in conclusion, abdominal pain and bloating can be caused by a hernia (this is quite possible). Urinary problems are rather caused by prostate enlargement or urologist should be consulted.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.