Have hepatomegaly. Can topical use of Tacrolimus ointment for burning scrotum harm me?

“I am 35 yrs old, male with diabetes. I was having itching and burning sensation in my scrotum area for the last two months. My doctor gave many creams but they all were making the condition worse. So ultimately he asked me to apply tacrolimus 0.03 % ointment which has given some relief.

Due to excessive drinking for many years, my liver has been affected – fatty and hepatomegaly for which treatment is going on like abstinence from alcohol, vitamins etc. I have read that tacrolimus is used orally to suppress the immune system in organ transplant patients. So, my question is whether topical use of tacrolimus ointment harm me ?? I mean my immune system is weak because of previous malnutrition and alcohol (not drinking anymore), so will this topical tacrolimus weaken the immune system further and I have also read that it can also harm the liver ?? Do these things happen only with oral or intravenous use of tacrolimus or can topical application also weaken the immune system and harm the liver OR is it safe ?? “
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Tacrolimus in topical form i.e. ointment form is very safe.

It is not absorbed in blood and acts on local skin only.

It is extremely safe and has been used in children also without any side effects.

So you can use it and there will be no adverse effects on the liver or XXXXXXX organs.

It will not affect your immune system .

Hope Ive made things clear.

Any further clarification you may need is welcome.

DR Sudarshan