Have hepatitis C. Test showed mild hepatomegaly with fatty changes. Treatment and diet?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have been diagnosed with hepatitis C 5 years back from then i didnt take any treatment or any other medications for this. For last 2 months i felt some enlarged feeling in RUQ region with more flatus during night time and went for Abdomen CT 2 days before. The result showed mild hepatomegaly with fatty changes and few tiny left paraaortic lymphnodes - reactive lymphadenopathies. Except these all are appears perfectly normal. Kindly suggest me what treatment should i take and i what life style and diet i should follow. Currently i am not taking any treatment.

XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 14 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 34 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.

You need to get treated for Hepatitis C infection. The following tests should be done before starting treatment -

1. Liver function test
2. HCV genotype
3. HCV RNA quantitative test

Consult your gastroenterolgist for treatment. He may treat you with Peg interferon and ribavirin.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have hepatitis C. Test showed mild hepatomegaly with fatty changes. Treatment and diet? 49 minutes later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply. I need the treatment duration and cost it requires. Also, i come to know that there is no permanent cure for Hepatitis C if so kindly advise me what kind of life style i should adapt and diet i should carry on.

thanks and regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 47 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

The treatment consists of weekly Peg interferon injection and daily oral Ribavirin.
The weekly cost is about Rs.6000. In addition you have undergo weekly blood tests which is another Rs.300.

The tests before treatment may cost around Rs.6000.

After 12 weeks of treatment these test have to be repeated to see if there is any response. If there is no adequate response or if you develop any side effects, then treatment may have to be stopped at 12 weeks.

If there is good response and there are no side effects , then treatment may have to be continued for 24/48 weeks depending on the hepatitis C genotype.

Since the liver has not undergone irreversible damage, there is no specific diet required. Just have good nutritious diet.

Which part of Chennai do you live?
You can contact me at Velammal Hospitals, Mugappair.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini