Have hemochromatosis, fatigue, elevated liver and kidney enzymes. Positive nuclear antibody test. Will GFR get better once iron levels normalize?

I was recently diagnosed with hemochromatosis. I been complaining to the VA about extreme fatigue over the past 3yrs. I had elevated liver and kidney enzymes on and off since I checked into the VA after losing my leg on active duty in the military. I tested positive on a nuclear antibody test after a requested a full panel blood test 2mos ago. They didn't return my calls, so I went through a civilian Doctor. He did the iron, tibc, liver and kidney function. My iron was extremely high. My liver looked good also double checked with ultrasound. My GFR was 57. I'm a but worried about my kidneys. I eat well, and don't drink alcohol. I drink 8 - 10 glasses of water a day and exercise regular. I have to give a pint of blood once or twice a month to lower my iron levels. Will my GFR get better once I get my iron levels back to normal?
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 4 hours later

I personally feel that you have some underlying pathology, which causes the destruction of red blood cells leading to the raised levels of iron in the body leading to hemochromatosis. Once there is circulating overload of iron it is deposited in various organs of the body and their function is impaired.
It may be due to some autoimmune process, which your doctor will find out and give, you appropriate therapy. Also with the advice of your doctor, you can find the possibility of iron chelation therapy.

In my opinion, I feel drainage of blood may not be the answer.