Have hemicrania continua and stomach flu. Getting chest pain, diarrhea and heaviness in ear. Any advice?

ENT Specialist
Hi I have Hemicrania Continua (13 years) I am 44. F. Yesterday afternoon while recovering from a stomach flu (no cold symptoms) my right ear became numb and I lost hearing in it.The flu consisted of chest pains, nausea, and diarhea. It lasted 3-4 days. The numbness also is on the outside of my ear and my cheekbone. This side, the right side, is the side that my migraine resides in and never moves from. It feels like it is clogged, but it is not. I have treated it with alcohol and wax removal. What I fear is a serious vascular issue or something that should have been picked up on an MRI (my last being over 5 years ago). What do you advise?
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

I have gone through your query regarding your stomach flu which had given rise to diarrhea, nausea and chest pain and later on heaviness in ear.

The most probable pathological sequence of events are as follows - Initially you got infection in your stomach which causes nausea and loose motion - due to nausea you develop GERD causing the chest pain - GERD and flu can cause inflammation of Eustachian tube - Eustachian tube swelling can cause heaviness in ear and decreased hearing.

It is unlikely to be related to serious vascular pathology and should be cleared in a few days.

If persists, you are advice to go for these investigations-
(1) X- XXXXXXX chest P.A.View
(2) Blood- C.B.C., E.S.R., Widal test, etc.
(3) Audiometery,

A competent physician / ENT surgeon can streamline the aforementioned tests. Now a thorough clinical examination and co-relation of inferences of investigations will tell us about diagnosis which may be accordingly plan for treatment.

I wish your query is explained; if any thing is not clear you may please contact again.