Have hematoma on leg with open wound. Applying alternating heat and ice. Looking for suggestion

Attn: Dr Rajnu - another question about hematoma on leg with open wound.

Hello I went to a clinic yesterday for this condition and they tried to use a needle to take out the blood but nothing came out. They advised me to apply alternating heat and ice 4 to 5 times a day for the next week. They also said to place warm compress a couple times a day to release the "plug" in the open wound. Also advised me of when I would need to go to the hospital from infection or a blood clot. I feel like it may have been a better approach as today I feel a lot of pain but also a lot of blood has come out and the hematoma has gone down. Just want to make sure this is a good coarse of action.
Thank you
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to me again.

Yes, examining your wound would have given enough information about it to so as to plan the course of action.

You can continue as advised.If anywhere in between if you feel there is liquification or extra-softening of the wound you can rush to the hospital to get the fluid aspirated.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Have hematoma on leg with open wound. Applying alternating heat and ice. Looking for suggestion 2 hours later
Thank you so much Dr. XXXXXXX I apologize for misspelling your name.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later
You are welcome.

Thanks for using this service.

Follow-up: Have hematoma on leg with open wound. Applying alternating heat and ice. Looking for suggestion 35 hours later

One last question. My father is in intensive care and I need to fly home to see him. This may be a silly question but flying with this hematoma shouldn't be a problem correct? We did end up going to the emergency room last night because it was starting to look infected, but they only cleaned out the wound because my blood test came back with normal levels of everything so they didn't want to cut it open. So the wound is now pretty much an open hole. Do you have any further thoughts on how to keep infection at bay? I have gauze on it covered with the mesh sleeve that they use after surgery, which I change the gauze every time it gets full of blood. I have been washing the area with dr. bronners tea tree soap (diluted of course) because of the benefits of tea tree and the soap is super gentle. Is this ok? and is it ok to flush with running water from the shower? This has been what I have been doing and it seems to be fine but I just want to double check.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Travelling would not cause any serious harm to the wound . You can plan according to your comfort.

Do not wash the wound with running tap water, the water could be a source of infection, also it can enter the wound adding to the fluid inside. Wash the surrounding area only.

Smear some amount of Bactroban ointment over the mesh u use to cover the wound.This would suffice
to prevent any infection.