Have hemangioma on liver, lichen planus, pain in right side. History of high insulin. Can hemangioma cause pain?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a heamagioma on my liver and lichen planus.. lately, I have severe pain on my right side.. from ribs to abdomen to leg.. not sure if this is all interrelated. I am worried about health of my liver.. not a smoker or drinker.. have had high insulin in the past and now lost weight and am back to normal range with insulin resistance.
Please advise.. can heamegiomas cause pain or can they be misdiagnosed?

Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Liver haemangiomas are benign tumors which are most commonly asymptomatic. Sometimes it can cause pain, discomfort and nausea if become enlarged enough to cause bile duct obstruction or compression of surrounding structures.Rarely it can rupture and cause bleeding. All this can happen if this is sized more than 6-7 cm. Small hemangiomas are not likely to cause any symptoms.
But there can be other liver pathology such as fatty liver,cirrhosis or more commonly gallbladder stones which could explain your symptoms.
This all shold be evaluated by ultrasound and HIDA scan. YOur hemangioma should just be followed up and if there is rapid grow or visible complication,it should be surgically managed.
Lichen planus is related to hepatitis c infection so check your viral markers too.
WIsh you good health.If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards