Have heavy painful periods. Taking gynera to delay period. Is it safe to take primolut?

Question
i have heavy painful periods. I was taking gynera to delay the period. I have just been prescribed primolut. do i contnue with the birth control and how does primolut work
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 56 minutes later

The most likely cause for your heavy periods is the fibroids you have, as hyperthyroidism usually causes the menstrual flow to lessen. You should be treated for the fibroids along with correction of your thyroid status.

Gynera is a contraceptive pill combination containing both estrogen and progestogen and is useful to control the flow in heavy cycles. Though, it is likely to have several unwanted side effects like venous thrombosis, impaired liver and renal function and altered clotting mechanisms. Estrogen contained in the pill is the major factor in causing these side effects.

Primolut, on the other hand, contains only Norethisterone, a progestogen, and is considered to have less serious side effects as it is devoid of estrogen. It works by maintaining a healthy endometrium.

Considering your age, it is advisable that you switch over to Primolut after consulting your doctor.

Hope I have clarified your doubts. If you need any further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.

Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Have heavy painful periods. Taking gynera to delay period. Is it safe to take primolut? 5 hours later
would the primolut delay the period

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 49 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Primolut can be used for either advancement of cycles, postponement of cycles as well as for the treatment of excessive bleeding. This can be achieved by the stabilizing effect of the drug on the endometrium. The treatment regimen determines which way it is used.

Beginning about 3 days before the expected date of menstruation, 2 or 3 tablets daily for not more than 10 -14 days, can be taken to postpone menstruation. Withdrawal bleeding occurs 2-3 days after stopping the medication.

The use of the drug for postponement of menstruation is advisable for those who are not at risk of conceiving in that cycle.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. If you need any further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.

Shanti.V.