Have heaviness at the back of chest while sleeping on back. ECG and blood test normal. Advise?

I woke up this morning around 2am with heaviness at the back of my chest while sleeping on my back. There is no pain but it is very heavy as if an elephant is sitting on my chest. I find the heaviness is quite relieve when I moved my body on my side. This is happening a week now almost every night. Also, it happened also a few months ago and I had ECG, blood test and x XXXXXXX The results were all good. Please advice. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The heaviness at the back of your chest that you are feeling is likely to be due to a muscular pain since all the cardiac investigations have come normal.
It could be due to-
1. A beat-up mattress that does not give adequate support might cause stiffness and pain. You need to use a firm mattress preferably a cotton mattress which gives our back a good support.
2. Low oxygen levels in muscles while lying down- frequent change in postures or lying on your side might provide the relief.
3. Disc herniation or spinal canal stenosis- Can be diagnosed after investigations like MRI.
4. Arthritis or ankylosing spondylosis.
5. Weak core muscles-Strengthening the muscles that support the spine helps keep the spine in its proper position and reduce risk of sprains, strains and back pain. Maintain fitness with exercises that include back stretching and strengthening exercises under guidance of a physiotherapist.
A detailed examination by an orthpedician will help in detecting the exact cause. The treatment further depends on the cause.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.