Have heartburn, vomiting and get diarrhea. Stool is dark in colour. Should I be concerned?

General Surgeon
I've been waking up in the middle of the night with heartburn and vomitting. Then I sometimes get diahreea. My stool is dark brown and i'm concerned it may be something serious.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 45 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Heartburn and vomiting can be a symptom of stomach issue. It can be acid reflux disease, peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation or colon cancer before, large intestine issues should be ruled out at first. Colon cancer risk significantly rises over the age of 50. As you have had this cancer in a very young age, genetic tests should be done at your case. I hope that you have been tested for HNPCC (Lynch syndrome). If not, you should definitely have this tests.
I also hope that you are under permanent oncologist control and have colonoscopy and abdominal CT done. If not, colonoscopy is strongly advisable at your case.
Diarrhea and dark brown stools can be a symptom of large intestine issues. So is nausea and vomiting.

Please visit your doctor and have mentioned tests done. If nothing will be found, stomach should be checked with gastroscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.