Have headache, swollen, red and painful eyelid. Took chlorsig antibiotic. Not cured. Viral infection?

Jun 2015

Hello last week, I had headaches which lasted for almost the week. It was always across the front and felt like it was sinus related. Head felt like a vice sometimes. Friday morning woke up with a very swollen,red & painful right eyelid which has progressively gotten worse over the weekend. I have been using chlorsig antibiotic ung, using the cold & warm tea bag compresses over the eye as well to help reduce the swelling. I don't know whether this is what they call pink eye and as I work in an operating theatre, wondering do I go to work tomorrow or not, and should I be on oral anribiotics, is this a viral thing / bacterial thing? XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 4 hours later

The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be due to:
1. Sinusitis (Inflammation/infection of paranasal sinus)
2. Tension headache
3. Migraine
4. Cluster headache
5. Any fluctuations in the blood pressure levels.

Presence of swelling, redness & pain in the eyelid can be attributed to the spread of infection from the paranasal sinuses.

Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of pain killers.
But unless the causative factor is removed, the symptoms cannot be eradicated completely.
So, instead of taking self medications, it will be better to consult your General Physician & get a proper physical examination done.

Investigations like complete blood count, X XXXXXXX of paranasal sinuses will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

Appropriate management steps will be taken based on complete history, physical examination & co-relating the findings with investigation reports.

Hope I have been able to answer your query.
Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Wishing you a Good Health.
Thanks & take care.