Ask a Dentist   »  

Have headache, pain in cheeks, jaws and forehead. Not cured by penicillin. How long will it take to get cured?

I had headache and pain in cheeks jaws and forehead thought it was sinus infection dr. Gave me penicillin for a few days but I was getting worse so he switched to augmenting and also gave me a shot of rocefin? This still didn't help so he sent me to dentist I had an infected tooth it was removed along with some bone tissue and she put me on clandimycin that was 2 1/2 days ago still have headaches. How long will it take for this to stop
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 23 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your question,

Based on your statement it sounds like you had a nice dental infection or abscess. Typically now that the infective source has been removed, your body will be able to start fighting the infection and destroy the bacteria with the help of the medication.

When some dental bacteria breakdown (when they are killed), they release toxins that can continue to infect the tissue until the body metabolizes them.

The headaches may be unrelated to the dental infection, but most likely if it was caused by the infection, it will start to alleviate 5 days after the extraction and can take up to two weeks time to heal to the point that the pain dissipates. Since you are a diabetic, expect the healing to take a few more days than normal especially if you are uncontrolled diabetic. The diabetes causes microconstriction of blood vessels and slows down healing along with allowing medication to be delivered systemically to the area.

Just remember with any surgery the maximum amount of pain and swelling will occur 3 days after the procedure. The pain and swelling always get worse before it gets better. If you had the infection removed almost three days ago, tomorrow should be the day that you experience the maximum amount of discomfort and will notice improvement throughout the weekend.

Best thing to do to help increase the ability of the medication to be delivered to the area and help stimulate blood flow for increase healing time is warm moist heat. Take uncooked rice, and put it in a tube sock. Tie it off; put it in the microwave for a few minutes until hot. When tolerable to apply to the skin, apply on the affected area of the face 20 minutes on, 10 minutes off for 1 hour and do this three times a day for 5 days. This will help with the headache and help speed up the process of swelling alleviation.

You can also take non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs as directed on the box to help decrease swelling and help with the headache.

Hope this helped. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, I will be happy to assist you.

Best wishes, good health...

Dr. Ward