Have headache over one eye, spreading to back of neck and to the other side of head. Suggest?

I have headache over one eye, often spreading to the back of my neck on that same side and sometimes spreading to the other side of my head. These usually last for about three days but are occuring more frequently and more painfully.
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query

From the description given by you it looks like you are suffering from migraine. However to be more sure I will need a few more information in order to help you better?

1. Do you wear prescription glasses? If yes when was the last time you got your eyes tested?
2. Are you on any medications? Some blood pressure reducing medications are known to cause headaches
3. Are you sleeping well at night?
4. How many times per week do you get these headaches and is it present even when you wake up in the morning?
5. Does it reduce on pain killers? Which pain killers do you take for the headache?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Have headache over one eye, spreading to back of neck and to the other side of head. Suggest? 3 hours later
In reply to your follow-up questions:

1. I do wear prescription eyeglasses and saw my doctor about one month ago.
2. I am presently taking Diltiazem - 240 Mg once a day. Also taking Simvastatin - 10 Mg and Levothyroxin - 25 Mcg once a day.
3. I sleep well at night.
4. I have been having these headaches about every other week. Usually present when I wake up and last all day.
5. I have been taking two or three aspirin which usually lessens the pain but does not always aleviate it completely.

Thank you for your help.
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the detailed reply

From the description you have given it looks like you are suffering from migraine to me.

In any clinical practice, anti migraine prophylaxis is given only when the episodes of headaches are more than 2 to 3 per week. However if the episodes are very bad, you could take prophylaxis medication. I usually start beta blockers like propranolol. This should prevent these headaches from coming.

I would also like to add here that aspirin might not be a good drug to take for the pain, you could switch over to plain paracetamol or naproxen for a better and faster relief. Aspirin has a lot of side effects like gastritis, bleeding, nephropathy, etc.

Please visit a neurologist soon for the headaches.
I hope my answer was of some help to you, if you have any further queries I will be happy to get back