Have headache, nausea and pressure and swelling in eye. Feel left side head blocked. Help?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
Woke up at 3 am with a headache, nausea, pressure behind my left eye and swelling over both eyes under the brow. I feel like my entire left side of my head is "blocked" my left ear has the sensation of being plugged up and I feel throbbing across the back of my eyes and cheeks. Had the same headache Friday and Saturday this week a well.
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 hours later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
These symptoms would suggest your are suffering from sinusitis. This is an inflammation of the sinuses which commonly produces a blocked or runny nose, pain and tenderness in the face, blocked ears and sometimes a fever.
Sinusitis can last two to three weeks so does last longer than a common cold. Initially pain-killers such as paracetamol and ibuprofen can help. Also, decongestant sprays or drops available from your pharmacist will relieve some of the symptoms. Steam inhalations may loosen secretions and relieve blockage.
About two thirds of people who get sinusitis will not need antibiotics as the inflammation will clear spontaneously as most cases are caused by a viral infection. If your symptoms have not eased after 7 days, I would suggest you see your doctor for further advice. About one third of cases are caused by a bacterial infection and will be helped by a course of antibiotics.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Have headache, nausea and pressure and swelling in eye. Feel left side head blocked. Help? 30 minutes later
While would normally I agree with this, there is also the pain around my neck and behind my eyes that goes around to the back of my head. I have a history of TMJ and that often masks itself as a sinusitis issue - I have taken sinus sprays, steroid nasal sprays and decongestants all weekend with no relief. I am also extremely sensitive to smells at the moment as well as my lower jaw behind my ear being tight. I have spent the weekend being miserable with pain and headache on the right side with symptoms gone late Saturday and all day Sunday. As mentioned, I woke up at 3 am with this issue, worse than the weekend. This feels like a migraine, but without the light sensitivity. Is it possible this could be a TMJ issue?

Thank you for the additional information. Temporomandibular joint disease is common and up to a third of the population may experience some minor problems at some point. The sensitivity to smells that you have may indicate it is not your sinuses that are the problem.
There are some simple measures that may help you if this is a TMJ problem. You could rest the joint by eating soft food, avoid chewing gum. Hot or cold compresses to the joint and massaging may help. Also, as it is sometimes caused by stress, relaxation exercises are worth trying. If you grind your teeth at night you could try a mouth guard with advice from your dentist.
If these simple measures do not improve your pain then consultation with either a dentist, ENT or maxillofacial specialist may guide you. In some circumstances when arthritis is the cause of the pain then steroid injections to the joint have helped.
I hope this information has helped. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Have headache, nausea and pressure and swelling in eye. Feel left side head blocked. Help? 4 hours later
Thank you for the additional info as well. I have been to the physician and since were we live is a XXXXXXX for allergy sufferers, it was determined that my sinuses are the issue - which is also causing the nausea from the postnasal drip. The TMJ has also been an issue and I'm not totally convinced that the sinuses are the sole issue so I will be checking back with my dentist to see if I can get a guard as I think my pillow is causing stress on the neck and jaw.

Thank you again for the help.

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 29 minutes later
I'm pleased to be of help. I hope your good health soon returns.
Dr K A Pottinger
MBChB FRCA