Have headache and mucus in throat after flu infection. What should I do for cure?

Dec 2012

scary flu I have had the flu for 4 days and I'm feeling better but still having headaches and now I have mucus in the back of my throat that feels like glue and its a grey color its making it hard to swallow which is triggering my anxiety I haven't slept for 24 hours cause when I lay down it gets worse what do I do I'm scared I do smoke and I'm 35 Yr. old female.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

From your description you are presenting with pharyngitis which is just an extension of your flu syndrome probably due to a viral infection. At this point I will prefer that you pay a visit to your doctor who would do a throat swap + culture and determine the kind of microorganism causing the throat infection.

A course of antibiotics (such as amoxicillin+clavulinic acid) + analgesics for the headache (such as acetaminophen) + mucolytic to suppress the mucus production ( such as acetylcysteine/carbocysteine).

A fibroscopy might be needed if symptoms persist despite above management plan to rule out laryngeal or pharyngeal tumor ( since you are a known smoker).

There is no need for anxiety, it might just be a viral infection that will cool off within a couple of days and if bacteria infection, antibiotics will take care of that.

Do visit an ENT specialist or doctor to examine you properly and provide you with adequate treatment.

Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Have headache and mucus in throat after flu infection. What should I do for cure? 4 hours later
I had one more thing too when I lay on my stomach and try to sleep its like my brain forgets to tell me to breath and I just end up gasping for air every few mins then I roll over on my back and my throat fills up with the gluey mucus I feel like I can't win for losing
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 13 minutes later
Nasal obstruction due to mucus is provoking the difficulty breathing order wise known as orthopnea. The stomach is simply an aggravating factor. Try lying on your back at semi-recumbent position to reduce the gravity on your chest and allow your airway to be liberated. A nasal decongestant is well indicated here. Antihistamines such as chlopheniramine/phenylephidrine are recommended.
You will have to pay a visit to your doctor soonest as your situation can aggravate to a lung infection or pneumonia.

Thank you