Have headache after having sex. Could I ask a doctor?

Nov 2013

I had a sex headache yesterday with orgasm. It was explosive and faded throughout the day yesterday. I still have a slight throbbing from time to time. The pain was in one spot above my eye and to the left. I am having no neurological problems that I can tell. Do I need to see a physician and should I see my family practice doctor or a neurologist?
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: You should see a neurologist Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. The most likely cause of headache after sex is vascular headache, something like a migraine. This is due to increased blood flow in certain parts of brain. This is something not to get worried about and would settle down on own in 1-2 days. However, rarely, it could occur in patients with brain aneurysms with small bleeds. Since this is the first time in your case, a brain scan should be done to exclude an aneurysm. Seeing a neurologist would be helpful. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: