Have headache. Doctor helping me with c5 and c6 degeneration. Have nausea and pain. What to do?

I have had a head ache for days. I have been seeing an orthopedist helping me with c5 and c6 degeneration, but injections did not help. But now the headaches are all the time, where before there were no pain days and headache days. I wonder if I have some other issue besides the degeneration? I have tried over counter pain meds they work but only for a few hours. and the headaches cause or I also have some nausea ? Any ideas what I can do? I am tired of the pain. thank you
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Careful reevaluation, patience and see family phys

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

There are of course other causes of headaches that we may think of. First, it is important to know the intensity, the duration, fluctuations, what aggravates these headaches and what relieves them, especially within these four days. The signs accompanying them like either presence of absence of fever, vomiting or visual disturbances of recent onset are all important to note.

Headaches in this case could simple be primary (no major brain disease) like migraine, tension of cluster headaches. A good inquiry from your doctor and answering by you of a few questions cited by you facilitate diagnosis and treatment is generally simple.

In case its not primary, but secondary, brain disease like tumors, abscesses should be considered. It would be rare in this case, considering that you have been well except for the last few days to think of these. It is however important to bear this mind during the evaluation process. At extreme, a brain CT scan , coupled with a good physical examination preferably by a neurologist would be very helpful. It is difficult or almost very rare, you should be reassured and remain unworried, to associate these symptoms to history of meningitis or spinal bone degeneration.

Your primary care physician could examine you more carefully. Persistence of symptoms with initial treatment plan should prompt you to book an appointment with your neurologist. For now, an assessment by your family physician, initial drug prescription, compliance to treatment and patience could be sufficient at this point. Do not hesitate asking further questions for clarifications in case you need more help. I shall be more than happy to contribute to your health. Thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD